Not until I was pregnant did I learn the real value of having healthy and portable snacks on hand at all times. Pregnancy, especially that wicked first trimester, was rife with hunger that struck suddenly and severely, and I quickly learned to never leave the house with at least one filling snack in my bag.
Pregnant or not, it pays to have healthy nibbles within reach because your options are pathetically limited if you’re forced to rely on restaurants, convenience stores or the office vending machine. I’ve tried – more than once – to convince myself a McDonald’s Happy Meal was ‘healthy’ because at least it’s better than my go-to order of a double cheeseburger with fries Now I keep my kitchen stocked with several snack options so I can stash something in my bag any time I head out the door.
Here are just a few of my favorites:
- Clementine (so easy to peel!)
- String cheese and Triscuit crackers
- Kashi granola bars
- Half of a peanut butter sandwich
- Dry cereal
- Herbed popcorn (homemade and air-popped, then sprinkled with garlic powder, rosemary and Parmesan)
- Soy crisps
- Homemade peanut butter sandwich crackers (natural PB on whole-grain crackers)
- Protein shake (put a scoop of protein powder in an empty sports bottle and just fill with water and shake when you’re ready to drink it)
- Nut mix (usually almonds and cashews)
- Homemade trail mix: nuts, popcorn, peanut butter chips, dry cereal, chocolate chips
Fortunately, I’m not the only one aware of how limited our on-the-go snack options are. I recently learned about HUMAN Healthy Vending, a company that’s on a mission to make healthy snacking easier. HUMAN vending machines are eco-friendly (not to mention pretty cool-looking) and are stocked with goodies like coconut water and Larabars. The best news? They’re hosting a giveaway!
One reader will win a reusable HUMAN Healthy Vending full of these healthy snacks:
- Late July Organic Mini Peanut Butter Sandwich Crackers
- Froose Gummy Snacks in Berry Blast
- Simply 7 Hummus Chips
- Hippie Chips in Sea of Love Salt
- Clif Mojo bar in Sweet & Salty Trail Mix
- Good Greens Bar in chocolate peanut butter
- Snikkidy Baked Fries in Southwest Cheddar
To enter, leave me a comment telling me your favorite healthy and portable snack. Giveaway is open to U.S. readers only.
**The giveaway is now closed **
The giveaway will close in a week and a winner will be chosen at random.
FTC notice: items are being sent free of charge to one winner; I am not being compensated for this give-away